Sunday, March 21, 2010

Reloadin'

Today I was out on the bench, getting ready to crank the handle and make ammo. The grandkids were over for lunch after church and they had to know what I was doing.

Then came the inevitable question, "PawPaw, can I help."

"Sure, come here."



That 's Zachary, seven years old, resizing .38 special brass. He thought he was doing something important, and he was, helping the old man get ready to stuff brass.



Then came his cousin Quinton, also seven years old, and he had to get into the act. Together they decapped and resized 100 rounds of .38 special. I thought it was a pretty good deal, because with the old single-stage press I have, pistol ammo takes 4 strokes to reload one round. They did 100 strokes, which helped me quite a bit. After their interest flagged, I finished the batch.

Hey, Joey! That's your ammo. It's in the box and I'll get it to UPS sometime this week. I'll give you an email when it gets in the UPS system.

10 comments:

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

I can't tell you how awesome that is! thanks, pop, and thanks to the nephews, too!

Old NFO said...

Start 'em young, and they'll always know how to do it! (plus it helps us old farts out)...

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Start'em young, and make'em work too.

Denis

Anonymous said...

Ummmm......where's their safety glasses?

Anonymous said...

Glad they're learning early; but where's their safety glasses?

Anonymous said...

Glad they're learning early.

But where's their safety glasses?

Zdogk9 said...

Probably take 'em to the range with you so's they can scrounge brass too.

J said...

Do parsley flakes help with reloading?

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

J-
If I'm not mistaken, that can of parsley flakes actually contains a bunch of cast 158 grain semi-wadcutters.

Years ago, that's what dad kept them in, so even if it holds something else now, It doesn't suprise me that the old parsley flakes can is still being used on the reloading bench.

Pawpaw said...

That plastic jar of parsley flakes holds a bunch of TL358-158 bullets. I've been using that parsley flake jar for years.

Safety glasses? There's nothing in decapping and resizing that could possibly pose a risk to their eyes.

I agree that anyone who would cap cartridges without safety glasses is an idiot. I've keep two pairs of safety glasses on the bench. The pair that we use, and an unopened pair for when the first pair gets scratched.