Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Heraldry

Years ago, someone in my family researched our heraldry and came up with what purports to be a family crest for our clan. My brother, Malcolm, commissioned a wood carving of it in 1970 from the local artist Frank Stevens. Frank carved the piece and it hung over the fireplace at the house I grew up in.

It's not a large piece, 22" x 15", but it is deeply carved and professionally done. When Mom and Dad sold the house we all grew up in, the carving came down and Malcolm claimed it. He's since decided that it should go to one of my sons because Malcolm has no sons and he thinks it should stay with the name.



You can click on the link for a larger (4.1 MB) version.

I thought I'd take a picture of it in case any of my siblings or cousins wondered what had happened to the piece.

It's at my house, temporarily.

UPDATE** And anonymous commenter tells me I misspelled the post title. He's right. Good catch. And thanks for the addtional information.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's HeraldRy, and the crest is person specific. No such thing as a family crest.

Anonymous said...

I get one of those offers every once in a while. My name is Norwegian and is roughly equivalent to "Newland" in English. In the long-ago the eldest son inherited everything. Younger sons could stay and work for him or go and make their own fortune. Thus the name which translates to "New Farm" or "New Place" and is one of the common names in Norway.

An interesting aside: This foolishness the gov't and congress is playing with is stirring my Viking blood. I've been reading the Sagas and have been increasing my respect for the stone cojones my Viking ancestors showed. They were some hard-assed SOB's and put up with little from those ostensibly above them, preferring death to subjugation. Perhaps it's time to show that some of us have ancestors to honor. And that we come from good, solid, hard headed, bloody minded stock.

Gerry N.

Old NFO said...

Nice piece of family history :-)