Saturday, March 13, 2010

Reprieve

I was scheduled to work a softball tournament today. In our jurisdiction, resource officers don't get overtime pay. Our extra time is accounted for as compensatory time at time-and-a-half (Comp-Time) and we take our time off when the kids are out of school. Deputies like me that work in high schools get lots of comp time, but guys (or gals) who work in elementary schools don't often have the opportunity to work a lot of comp time.

I'm able to read a calendar and do basic math, so I know how much time I need to avoid being put back on the road during school holidays. Not that I mind working the road... well, I've done that. I'm over blue-light-fever. If the Sheriff needs me I'll work any hours or sustain any duty, but if he doesn't need me he can find me at the deer lease or in the back yard playing with grandkids.

I was scheduled to work a softball tournament today, but a deputy-in-need called me. He works an elementary school and doesn't get a lot of comp time. As it turns out, his daughter is playing in the tournament today and he'll be at the same ball park all day long. So, we struck a deal where he puts on his boots and works the tournament and I stay home. Our boss, of course, is fine with this as long as it's covered and the kids are safe. He'll claim the comp time, which he needs. He'll watch his daughter play ball, which he was going to do anyway. I'll stay at home and recharge my batteries. It's a win-win situation.

After coffee, I'm going to the range.

No comments: