Monday, March 01, 2010

Gunsmith Kinks

After posting the post below, I was browsing through the internet about common problems with Smith and Wesson revolvers, so I took the old Model 66 to the bench and removed the sideplate.

My Gawd! The crud in there was fantastic. Thirty years worth of old oil and grease and who-knows-what-that-stuff-is. I blew it out with brake-cleaner and all manner of crud fell on the shop towel. The inside of that revolver was absolutely cruddy. I oiled it sparingly and reassembled it. It's slick as a gut. Now I have another option for the Special Olympics match.

Or, I might use Joey's 1911. It needs to be run.

Anyway, I went over to the Midway USA site and looked at the order I made today for the holster and speed loaders for the Model 28. It shipped, which is a good thing, because I notice that the speedloaders are on backorder. So I went back to my order and they say it shipped. I bought the last two N-Frame speed loaders that Midway had in stock. What a deal!

Wbile I was there, I browsed some books that Xavier recommends. I put three books on my wishlist, all by Jerry Kuhnhausen. When the kids ask me what I want for Christmas next year, I'll tell them that I need some shop manuals and refer them to my wish list.

It's really nice to have my Model 66 running again. That revolver and I were such close nigh on 20 years that I'm glad I could give it the attention it needed.

4 comments:

J said...

The Kuhnhausen book on Mausers is a must-have for anyone with an old Mauser rifle in need of tinkering.

Termite said...

J,

It's a S&W M66. A K-framed 357 revolver.


And Pawpaw,
If you ever decide to part with your M66, call me. I rue the day I sold mine.

Rich Jordan said...

Second the Kuhnhausen books; I've got the 1911 service pistol and the M1/M14 rifle books. They are excellent.

Pawpaw said...

Termite.

Junior knows that my Smith is a K-frame. He's shot it. He was commenting on the general usefulness of Kuhnhausen books.

And the boys are discussing how my collection will be distributed. I've got a feeling that revolver will be in the family for at least two more generations.