Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you?

Where were you five years ago today?

I had worked a night shift. My relief showed up for five a.m. and I went home to bed and slumber. The phone rang about 7:50. The caller was Chris, a friend of the girlfriend, now my wife. I lay abed for a few minutes, getting the cobwebs out of my brain, and stumbled into the living room in my pajamas, turning the TV on shortly before 8:00 a.m. (All times central zone). I was trying to make sense of the disaster when I watched UA flight 175 crash into the South tower.



Today, we remember.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, we remember, and we're still mad, too.

Anonymous said...

Five years ago today, I was doing very nearly the same thing I am today. That is, at work offshore, on this TLP. The US Coast Guard was on board conducting the annual COI inspection. They were stuck here for 2 extra days, because all flights other than military or police were grounded(they had flown over on a commercial helicopter service, Air Log, not a Coast Guard chopper).

Trust me, having Coast Guard inspectors on board with nothing to do for 2 days is not a good thing.

The Termite