Saturday, September 09, 2006

Prepping

It'll be deer season in another few weeks, and all of the hunters are in the woods getting ready. As another lease holder told me this morning, "Deer season can turn into work." He's right.

I spent the morning in the woods today. I moved a stand to a location I talked about in this post. The stand is sturdy, but we did some damage moving it. Of course, I went to the woods without any tools. Next weekend I'll take some tools out, retrieve the damaged section and bring it back to town for repair. The stand had been standing in a three-year-old pine growth, and it was covered in vines and thorns. Now, it is near where it will stand and more importantly, I can back the truck up to it when I work on it. No need to trek through the woods.

At another stand, I planted twenty-five pounds of a wheat/oats/clover mixture. If we get any rain this week, it should start to germinate. I'll probably haul a mineral block out there too.

After I finish here, it is nap time. This evening, we're going dancing, with the Magnolia Dance Club. It's a good time, a private club populated by old fogeys like me. We begin at 7:00 and end promptly at 10:00. I'll get home early enough to get some sleep before church tomorrow morning.

Now, though, at 2:32, it's time for a nap. Y'all have a fun weekend.

1 comment:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I like it when a real man says he naps!

My brother-in-law says naps are for sissies - I say he's missing a great part of life, and that's why he's so grumpy all the time.

Retirement, being highly under-rated, is also for catching up on sleep you missed while working.

Come to think of it, that's why I enjoyed deer hunting all those years - great naps on cold days lying warm in hunting clothes under a big tree with your nose all rosy red. Ah...I miss it.