Thursday, October 20, 2005

Now we know

Today I emailed my Senators about the Porkbusters iniative, and about the Coburn Amendments, asking them to show fiscal restraint. The Coburn amendments would have repealed $500,000 previously authorized for a sculpture park in Seattle, Washington, $200,000 to build an animal shelter in Westerly, RI, and $200,000 to build a parking lot in Omaha, Nebraska, and re-directed the funds to help pay instead for Hurricane Katrina recovery.

I should have saved my ink. Both David Vitter (R-LA) and Mary Landrieu (D-LA) voted against Louisiana interests. I guess they think that parking lots in Omaha are more important than Louisiana reconstruction. The roll call vote is here, and many thanks to Tapscots Copy Desk for the information.

My Senators may have thought that a vote here could be turned in to more aid later, but they could have made the deal by saying that the voters in Louisiana really wanted them to vote against pork. Sounds to me like they just screamed Soowweee and voted.

Damned shame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully some "I'll vote for yours if you'll vote for mine" dealing went on.