Friday, October 14, 2005

Iraq, and the Rott.

For those of you who are unsure of my stand about the boys in the sand, please know that I have served honorably and have heard shots fired in anger. I love the military, particularly the infantry and armor and the cav. Enlisted ranks of all stripes, and most junior officers.

I have long maintained that the two most worthless grades in the US Army wear gold insignia so that they can be immediately identified. One should educate the junior and frustrate the senior.

Emperor Darth Misha has a hell of a post up concerning the Iraq unpleasantness. Having read through it thoroughly, I agree. I have wondered what the problem was with the terrorists in Iraq, and I guess I never thought of the process as carrot and stick. Being the simple soldier I was, I never considered dealing anything but kindness and loyalty to my friends, with death and dishonor for my enemies.

Carrot and stick sounds like a good thing, and I thought that was what my President was talking about early in the war. It turns out that we don't hang traitors or execute out-of-hand illegal combatants. In my view, each commander in the zone, above the grade of 05 should be allowed to dispose of illegal combatants as he sees fit. By the time a person makes Colonel, he or she has demonstrated skills that would mitigate against the rash use of personal power. I think they could be trusted to shoot the occasional terrorist without much fanfare.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just an old soldier.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Old soldiers are pretty smart!!