Monday, August 26, 2024

Memories

 Belle cooked a quick lunch last week, using a frozen meal.  It was good, but I couldn't put my finger on it, till it suddenly came flooding back to me.  1973, Fort Knox, KY,   We had just come out of the field, and the chow hall served a hot supper.  Salisbury steaks, mashed potatoes, sweet corn.  It's amazing how memories work.

I normally drink Evan Willians in my afternoon cocktails. On Saturday, for reasons I can't explain, I picked up a bottle of old No7.  Jack Daniels flagship hooch.  I poured myself a Jack and COke, and the memories came flooding back.  Totally different taste.  

I wish I knew what vodka they were using in the Fort Dix bar in 198.  That was a TDY to remember.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I likes me Salsbury steak in a sandwich with a cheese slice. Reminds me of my boyhood meatloaf sandwiches Mom made (RIP Mom). Simple but delicious !

Thanks for the post Pawpaw.

markshere2 said...

The local liquor store is unable to find Ezra Brooks, so its Evan Williams for me too.

Gotta meet the taste / effect / price ratio.