Friday, August 23, 2024

Batteries

 For the longest, I resisted battery-driven tools.  However, over the past couple of years, I have to admit that the technology has gotten better, and that battery powered tools seem to be okay.  

Year before last, my gasoline powered string trimmer went kaput.  Last year, I didn't do any string trimming at all.  I got as close as I could with a push mower, and said the hell with it.  But, this year I has some spots in the yard that were starting to look a little ratty, and decided to get another string trimmer.

Over the past several years, I have acquired a couple of battery driven tools, the black-and-yellow brand.  Specifically, a drill and a nut driver.  They work just fine.  I decided that when I bought another string trimmer, it would be nice to have it work on the same battery that my drills use.  Yesterday, I was at the local lumber yard and saw such a device.  It came with a 5 amp hour battery and was the right colors.


It seems to work good.  I don't have to worry about mixing gas, or chokes or carbs, or any of that.  Plug in a battery and get after it.  I wouldn't use it for a commercial application, but for around the house, it seems to be fine.  I have another battery to add to the collection, and they all interchange.

A while back, this brand went from an 18 volt system to a 20 volt system.  If you have the old 18 volt motors, there is an adapter that will let you use the new 20 volt batteries.  Or, you can go to Vanon batteries and buy their knock-off.  My sons use Vanon batteries and seem to like them. You can get them either from the factory, or go through Amazon.  Either way.

6 comments:

markshere2 said...

Dewalt is very good.
Ryobi batteries are crap.

There is an adapter for Ryobi tools to take dewalt batteries

Anonymous said...

We purchased a lithium batteried pole saw and it has been a Godsend for cutting mesquite and other thorny bush alongside the ranch roads. I know the feeling Jonas Salk must have felt when he developed the Polio vaccine. So much easier !!

Termite said...

Last year I bought Mrs Termite the 54 volt cordless Ego string trimmer. It is a beast. So this year for her birthday I bought her the matching cordless blower. It's pretty strong.

Anonymous said...

Yes to Vanon batteries. Good quality, good prices, and even better prices on sales. I've completely changed to them as a source.

Anonymous said...

I had a set of 14.4 volt tools from the yellow brand when it was a step up from 12 volt. They did well especially since I live off grid. Batteries finally got bad and the drill shorted out so now I have a 20 volt drill and impact. Same brand.

Old NFO said...

I've been using them for about 5 years, haven't had any major problems.