Sunday, October 21, 2018

Low-Life, Dirty Dog, Scoundrel.

I have an old 2001 F150 that we use around the place when we need a pickup truck.  I don't need a truck every day, but we need one often enough to keep one around.  It's paid for, it's mine, ad it starts every time we turn the ignition.

Belle needed it a couple of weeks ago to run an errand, so she took it out.  About three days later I needed it and and noticed that the fuel gauge was about a quarter of a tank, so I stopped and filled it up.  I got to the store, and when I came out, realized that I had a fuel leak.  A substantial  fuel leak.  I got under the truck and saw a stream of fuel coming from the tank, so I looked i the console, found a pencil, and jammed it up in the hole, then duct-taped it in place.   I am a redneck, after all.

Pencil stuck i the hole, duct-taped i place.

Second son is a first-class mechanic with his own shop, so I talked to him about what I could do to fix the problem.  I took it to his shop this afternoon for a more complete exam.

Did I mention that he has a lift?  Everyone needs a lift in the shop
So, we got it up o the lift and drained the tank.  Then made a close inspection to analyze the problem.


That's the hole in the tank, and it's obviously been drilled.  That is not road-damage.  Some dirty, low-life scumbag crawled under my truck with a drill and drilled a hole i the tank to steal gasoline.

We tapped the hole and put a bolt in it, the bolt covered with Yamabond, a gasket material that Yamaha uses to seal engine cases.  Think Permatex on steroids, but impervious to gasoline.  The truck is still in the shop.  We're going to let it dry for 24 hours, then see if we have any leaks.

What kind of lowlife, dirty dog, scoundrel drills a hole in a gas tank to steal a little fuel?   I ain't never seen nothing like that, and I've seen a lot of things.

9 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Too dumb to siphon?

Judy said...

Too bad the drill wasn't throwing sparks with a little gasoline vaper... But, then again, in the litigious society, we live in...you still own the shirt on your back.

Anonymous said...

probably a leftist; they're entitled you know, and its not fair that you had gas and they didn't.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Hopefully somebody who develops symptoms of chemical pneumonia.

Don't suppose there is anybody in the community who worked on the Russian space station?

Old NFO said...

Or somebody with a grudge against you from 'work'...

Anonymous said...

Take a piece of aluminum for a patch and use "JB Weld.

Jonathan H said...

I've heard of it happening before, but this is the first time I've seen pictures.

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to me several years ago. I jammed a stick in the hole to get it to the shop. My mechanic said they just put a tub/bucket under it to catch the gas.
Ben

kamas716 said...

That seems malicious rather than someone just looking to get a few gallons of gas.