Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Half-Pint Sharps

Readers who have been with me a while know that I'm a big fan of falling block rifles.  At the current time, I own only one, a Pedretti copy of an 1874 Sharps business rifle.  Mine is in .45-70, weighs about 11 pounds, and I currently have it set up as a target rifle, with a tang sight and a Lyman 17 globe sight.  The weight of the rifle is just right for target work, but it's a little heavy for tramping over the hills and woodlands.  An 11 pound rifle gets heavier as the day goes on.

I am reminded, though, that Taylor's and Company imports several varieties of Sharps clones, including a  "Half-pint" Sharps in smaller calibers, including .44-40 and .30-30 Win.

Oleg Volk led me to a photo of a comely lass with one of these smaller Sharps.



The American Hunter did a review of it here.

A rifle that size might be just the bees knees for tramping around the woods with.   (That little gal might be too, but Belle would object.)

Before you turn your nose up at the old black-powder cartridges, remember that before the 1900s, they took all the game on this continent and every other.  The .30-30 especially was touted as a high-velocity, smokeless powder wonder cartridge when it was introduced.  It's still a fine cartridge for most game in the 150 pound class at 125 yards.   I bet that little Sharps in .30-30 or 44-40 would be a fun little rifle.  I'm just sayin'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may be mistaken, but back in 1970's, Garcia imported a rolling block .357 carbine that appeared awesome. I meant to order one, but never did, regretfully. Short and approximately 5 lbs. in weight - a real woods roamer.

Jonathan H said...

Neat subject. I like how you discuss 'older' weapons and give them respect. It is nice to see history and how it can still be useful.