Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Rock and Fire

Yesterday after work, I got home to a quiet house.

I decided to do some training, reactive training, which looks remarkably like Cowboy Fast Draw.  So, I went out and set up the range.  It took about five minutes to set up.  The targets have a little light in them, when the light comes on, you draw and fire.  One shot.  If you hit the target, it trips the timer and you get a time.

For almost an hour, I'd wait for the light, rock and draw.  Turn around and look at the timer.  Reload, and wait for the timer cycle to reset, then rock and draw again.  Nobody bothering me, just me, a revolver and the timer.  Fifty rounds later I was done.

We're not going to talk about my times, because they're not important.  But I'm faster and more accurate than I was six months ago.  There is something about waiting for that light, then snatching and firing that is really calming.  I'm using wax bullets, but the mechanics are the same.  Draw and shoot, one round, then check your time.  Do it again, over and over, get into the rhythm. Wait for the light, then hit the target.  It's great reactive training and I recommend it to everyone.

It's true that I'm a fan, a cheerleader for Cowboy Fast Draw, but if  you can react to an outside stimulus, draw,fire, and hit a target in under a second, you're well on your way.  With more targets, I could set up double-taps, multiple engagements.  But, still, the first round is often the one that matters.

After that hour, Milady came home.  I asked her if she wanted to shoot, but she deferred.  So, we poured a cocktail and spent some time talking about the day.  Spending an hour shooting in the back yard is truly a relaxing way to wipe out the rigor of a Monday at work.

I should have gotten into this game 10 years ago.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Ingraining those reactions is a great way to destress, since you actually have to concentrate on the light and motions :-)