Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Boudin, and Comments

TechieDude says in comments: 

I'm overdue for an order. Thanks for reminding me. BTW, there is nothing on this earth like Boudin, Andoullie, or even the smoked sausage that comes from cajun country. Anything you see in stores here, or anywhere else, is a cheap imitation. They have "boudin" at Kroger, but it's disgusting white. Totally wrong color. Looks like weisswurst. Probably all rice.

Guillory's Specialty Meats sends boudin and other Cajun delicacies across the US.  My son, who lives in Roswell, NM, regularly orders boudin shipped to him.  Guillory's can also ship other meats.  Call them at  (318) 484-2999 and they'll tell you all about it. Ask them about their tasso and andouille.  They make the best tasso in the world.  Tasso is a heavily seasoned, smoked pork loin.  Belle keeps a couple of pounds around to put in her purple-hulled peas, or navy beans.  Guillory's also makes a chicken/jalapeno sausage that I like on a bun, or in a gumbo or jambalaya.

I have an order in for tomorrow.  Grandson has been jonesing for egg rolls, and Guillry puts a Cajun twist on egg rolls.  So, tomorrow at 4:00 pm I'm picking up a doesn't egg rolls.  Half with regular boudin, half with smoked jalapeno boudin.

I don't feel like cooking tonite, but all this talk about food has me hungry for a big jambalaya.

4 comments:

robert orians said...

If you're trying to make this old Buckeye jealous you did it . Haven't seen any good Cajun cooking since our local displaced Katrina guy went back South a couple years ago . I had traveled quite a bit in the Bayou and he was happy to find a Buckeye that knew what good Cajun sausage tasted like . My bowels just can't get used to the bland food up here after tooling the Lone Star and the duck hunting haunts in Bayou country . Might be an opportunity for a business minded Cajun . Mail order Boudin . Put me down for the first ring .

Old NFO said...

I need to order some Tasso. Thanks for the reminder!

TechieDude said...

There is nothing in the world like the cuisine of SW Lousiana. When I met my wife's family down there, my head exploded at the food. In many parts of the country, they'll cover something in red pepper, burn it, then declare it cajun.

The taste and style is unique. And Man, oh man, could my mother in law cook.

You live up north, you're used to normal subs. You go to Lafayette and get a proper po-boy and you're blown away. And this quality food is ubiquotus. Hell, I think one of the best bowls of gumbo I've had was at a Chris' po-boys attached to a chevron station.

Another thing you'll notice is that the supermarkets are geared towards people that cook. The Albertson's (at the time) in La was stocked completely different than than the Safeways where we lived. The Mother in Law sent us to fetch a chicken and gave us a lecture on what kind she wanted. I really didn't get it, chicken is chicken, right? You have whole, you have cut up.

Wrong. I think I counted 3-4 types. Who knew you could buy a hen and what you'd use it for?

Another thing you don't see here in Texas is a "specialty meat" store. Those stores are a treat if you like to cook.

Sabre22 said...

I was wondering if they shipped the meats or not. Montana is a long way from Cajun Country. We used to make our own garlic sausage using venison and pork and beef fat. Very good stuff.