Tuesday, May 05, 2020

The New Postal Match

Back in pre-internet days we used to shoot something called a Postal Match.  You could sign up by mail, and you'd get a target in the mail.  You'd shoot your target according to the rules, then have someone witness it, then mail it back.  When I was shooting smallbore, or muzzle loader, I got involved ina couple of postal matches.  They were a lot of fun.

These days, the CFDA can't have sanctioned matches until the covid quarantine is over, so we've been doing virtual matches.  They benefit our scholarship program, and we're on the honor system to shoot the match on video and post it on the society Facebook page.  The match directors score the matches and declare winners and losers.

On Sunday, I signed up for a match.  For round one, I was paired against a lady, Calamity Pam, who poster her video.



Good shooting.  Good times, a good hit ratio.  So, the next morning, I posted my video.



Five shots, five misses.  I did not cover  myself in glory, but that is the nature of this game.  Pam won that round, and Maor D goes in to the losers column.

They posted the second round about an hour ago.  I"ll shoot it tomorrow morning.  Maybe, just maybe I'll find that target and put some times on the scoreboard.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Win some, lose some, the rest get rained out... sigh

robert orians said...

Still one hell of a lot of fun and humility is my best trait . Keeps me grounded .

Rivrdog said...

Wayback machine. In High School, while I was working up to my Distinguished Rifleman Junior classification, almost all of it was postal. The rifle Coach told up 10 or so regular Club shooters that for every hour on the range, he spent an hour and a half just doing all the postal stuff.