Thursday, January 16, 2020

Thursday Morning Connectivity

Over the past several days, we've been having problems with internet connectivity.  It drops of-line several times a day. My personal, teenage grandson tech support suspects that the problem is the internet modem, which we've had for about eight years.  With two teenagers in the house, who each drag hard o that modem, I suspect that my tech support is correct, but before I spend the money, I want another opinion, so I call the company tech line.  The conversation goes like this:

Them: "Thanks for calling.  What's the problem."
Me: "Internet connectivity."
Then: "Let's reset the modem."
Me: I've done that four times today."
Them: "Let's do it again"

We reset the modem.

Them: "It looks good from here."
Me: "Okay, if my modem is fine, why does my internet keep dropping?"
Them: "The modem is fine."
Me: "Okay, if the modem is fine, is the problem on your end, or my end?"
Them: "The modem is fine."
Me: "Great, let me speak with your supervisor." 
Them: "We don't have a supervisor here."
Me: :You don't have a boss?  Am I speaking to the CEO?"
Them: "No, I am not the CEO."
ME: :Great!  You work for someone. Put him on the horn."

Needless to say, I didn't speak to a supervisor.  But I'm retired now and my internet provider (Suddenlink Communications), has a business office/plant operation just a few miles up the street.  My plan this morning is to drop by and give the lady at the front desk an opportunity to trot the manager out and let him explain to me what the problem is.

4 comments:

Judy said...

LOL. I bet 'The Manager' will be more clueless than the person on the phone. Current business school teachings are you don't have to know anything about the 'process' to manage people.

BobF said...

I'm with Judy. Can't wait to hear the outcome. I went through the same exercise yesterday with my cable company. Reset, reboot, etc.,...

Elroy said...

PP: "Hello, I'd like to speak to the manager."
M: Hello, I'm Brad. How can I help you?"
PP: You're my ISP, I lost internet connectivity yesterday and your tech support was unable to help."
M: "The inter-what?"

pigpen51 said...

In my senior year of high school, my football coach had a fellow former Marine, who served with him in Vietnam, who was the coach of a college team at a business college here in Michigan. He wanted me to go there, but I had no idea of what a business school would do for me. How stupid I was.