Friday, January 10, 2020

Our Justice System

I learned a long time ago as a cop that it wasn't my job to try and convict criminals.  It was my job to arrest and provide evidence.  I couldn't get my feelings hurt, if for whatever reason, the District Attorney chose not to prosecute.

That's the nature of our system, and Nancy Pelosi is learning that.  The Constitution is clear.  The House begins the impeachment process and the Senate finishes it.  The Speaker does not get to negotiate the rules.  Her job s finished when she sends the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate.  Mitch McConnell made that perfectly clear yesterday.
"If the Speaker continues to refuse to take her own accusations to trial, the Senate will move forward next week with the business of our people," he said. "We will operate on the assumption that House Democrats are too embarrassed to ever move forward."
That seems fair to me.  If SanFranNan doesn't send the articles over, the Senate can't try them, and should move forward as if they never existed.

No comments: