Monday, August 19, 2019

Consequences

Like many of you, I've been following the continuing saga of Jeffrey Epstein's suicide in a Manhattan lockup.  I've never been a Federal prison guy, but I have been the watch commander of a local lockup, and I know that you do not want to be the guy who has someone commit suicide on your watch.  Nothing good comes from it.
Attorney General William Barr has removed the acting director of the Bureau of Prisons from his position more than a week after millionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein took his own life while in federal custody.
Evidently, that facility has problems that are ongoing, ad the big bosses didn't do anything to correct it.   I've read over the past week that various prison officials tried to cover up instances of dereliction of duty.

This story bears watching fairly closely.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, the ramifications are going to be wide ranging...

Steve Sky said...

I was amazed by the video cameras "malfunctioning". That has replaced "the dog ate my homework" as the least genuine excuse in the modern world. I'll also note he was hurriedly buried, so no further forensic examination could be done.

Things that make you go hmmm.

Jonathan H said...

I understand there are systemic problems with the Federal Corrections System - this isn't the first high profile death to happen there recently; remember Whitey Bulger a few months back? Many rules and regs were broken with him too.

juvat said...

"Attorney General William Barr has removed the acting director of the Bureau of Prisons from his position more than a week after millionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein took his own life while in federal custody."

I think at this point I would add the word "supposedly" between "Epstein" and "took" to be more accurate.