Friday, August 16, 2019

.350 Legend?

I got my American Rifleman today and saw a picture of a new cartridge from Winchester, the .350 Legend.  I'm a big fan of .35 caliber cartridges, ad I must say that my curiosity is piqued.  Evidently, it's based on the .223 Remington cartridge, blown out to .35 caliber, and is a straight-walled case.

It was designed, evidently, as a niche cartridge for those folks who cannot use bottleneck cases for deer hunting, but it throws a 300 grain, .35 cal bullet at 1800 fps.  My first thought was ' "Big Deal!  I have a 45-70 load that throws a 405 grain bullet at 1800."

But then I started thinking; This is based o the .223 case.  It might fit through an AR.  Or, a really small bolt gun.  Either way, it would make a dandy cast-bullet rifle.  If Junior were still alive, he'd be on this thing like a duck on a june bug.

Right now, it's a new, niche cartridge, but I can see the potential.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

dick on a june bug, Wow, just wow.

Pawpaw said...

Thaanks for catching that, anon. Spell check didn't. It's fixed now.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Unfortunately, it is just enough different from the .223 Rem cartridge you cannot fire-form them.

I live in one of those niche states. .450 Bushmaster is a very big deal around here. Given my druthers, I would rather have a .350 Victory but I don't know if it will have "staying power". Much will depend on the quality of the factory ammo.

Anonymous said...

How does this compare with the .357 Maximum ? It's been around since the 1980s and still languisaches. And a ,357 Maximum can be loaded with smaller cartridges as well.

Howard Brewi said...

Maybe another loading for a Marlin carbine?

MattB said...

Already built an AR 350 Legend. 18 inch barrel supposed to throw the 145 grain fmj at around 2500 fps. Was really hard to find the 350 parts as apparently everybody is wanting to build one. I have put my 300 blackout up for sale as this does everything the blackout does and more. A 223 drops about an inch down into the chamber of the 350 legend, so there is no fire forming. Midway has Winchester brass for sale at 24 cent per case.

Old NFO said...

Meh, I think it's much ado about nothing. Another wildcat cartridge that will not see a lot of guns built to shoot it.

freddyboomboom said...

Ruger has it in their AR 556 MPR platform & their American Rifle Predator version. That's as far as I looked, but two affordable factory rifles chambered in it...

MattB said...

Davidson's gallery of guns lists 25 different rifles in 350 Legend. Of these 15 are out of stock and 2 are limited stock. Makers include Winchester,Savage and Ruger.