Monday, May 14, 2018

Vodka and Tonic

As many of my regular readers know, my usual preferred drink is bourbon and Diet Coke.  It serves me well over many of the months of the year, but occasionally I like something different.  Years ago, as a young Army officer, I learned to drink vodka and tonic.  Refreshing after a long, hot day, it helped settle the dist in my throat.

Yesterday, shopping for groceries, I was on the soft-drink aisle and noticed bottles of tonic water over near the ginger ale.  I bought some on impulse and late yesterday afternoon, when the cocktail hour approached, I pouted a vodka and tonic into my favorite whiskey glass.  Just some cheap-ass old Smirnoff vodka that we had in the liquor rack.  This stuff is even in a plastic bottle.

After the first sip, I remembered why I like it so much.  It doesn't weigh you down, doesn't make you sluggish.  It's crisp and clean.  I suppose it might be better with better vodka, but I doubt I'll ever find out, because I don't buy better vodka.  I did see a bottle of Absout in the server, but the Smirnoff suits me just fine.

When the cocktail hour rolls around today, I may pour myself another.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

Watch out for the quinine in the tonic. Too many of them and you get permanent vertigo!

Pawpaw said...

I thought it was the vodka that was giving me vertigo!

Anonymous said...

When I was younger, Screwdrivers and Bloody Marys always suited me fine.

Never became hungover drinking vodka. Vodka has been berry berry good to me ! :^)

Anonymous said...

I usually figure if you're drinking much above Stoly you're either trying to impress someone or you've got an expense account. Not a vodka drinker personally, but I'm told by people who are that Costco's Kirkland brand vodka is very good and runs about $30ish a handle (1.75L).

OTOH I AM a scotch drinker, and once saw MacCallen 25 year old in a hotel bar for $109 a serving. Considering a bottle runs about $1,700 for a .75L that's not real unreasonable, but I'll stick to my Glenmorangie at $40 a bottle.

Mark D

A.T. said...

Try Seagrams Vodka or good old Military Vodka if you have commissary privilege. I enjoy your blog & the quality links you provide.

freddyboomboom said...

Another brand of a good vodka without an exorbitant price is Russian Standard, if you have it in your liquor stores.

Here in Oregon the Smirnoff 100 proof is the same price as the Russian Standard and I would argue the Russian Standard is the better vodka.

Or, you could just stay with the Smirnoff and ignore all the busy bodies trying to mess up the good thing you have going. :)