Thursday, May 17, 2018

New Camera

I found the new camera when I came in today.  Thanks, USPS and Camera Camera and Amazon.  I unboxed it, put the battery on to charge and waited an hour while I ran an errand.

The first thing that surprised me was the tiny size of this thing.  It's tiny, smaller and lighter than my smartphone.


While small in size, it seems to be big on   It will probably never take the place of my DSLR for some things, but it was bought to complement by DSLR, ot replace it.  It will certainly fit in a pocket and it takes good photos.

Zach and I took it out to the shop to see how it would do with low-light.  When we're taking pictures with the DSLR in the shop, with no flash (flash is verboten in CFDA), the   Here's one I took of Zach with the flash.


It's a big file, so you can click on it to embiggen it, but the skin tones are correct and the color of the wall is very, very close.

Here's one Zach took of me, behind the scorer's table, with the flash OFF.  Not bad at all for a tiny point-and-shoot.

I cropped it to get out some extraneous stuff, but the camera did very well, much better than my DSLR does in that situation.  I look a little pale,, and the wall color isn't exactly right.

What impressed me was the quality of the video.  One of the first things I took with it was a short, outdoor video, under our patio.  A friend, Susan had come over, and I took some video of her and Belle talking.



That's raw video, unedited, but I think it did okay.  I'll have to play with this little camera a bit more, but I think I'm going to like it just fine.

For the record, I bought this kit from Camera Camera through Amaon.  It came with a case, a spare battery, a selfie stick an SD card and some other gee-gaws.

After things calmed down around the house, I took the little camera out to the shop, put it on a tripod, and gave it a whirl.  This is probably where the video projects will be shot, and I learned a lot particularly that I'll need to turn off the A/C units while I'm filming.    But, for a first go-round, this isn't half bad.



I have a lot to learn about video work.

3 comments:

Jonathan H said...

Looks like a nice camera. I'm in the market for one, so I'll have to keep it in mind.
The one thing I'm considering that it doesn't have is waterproofing, but I'm not sure I'll go for that yet. At work we have a couple of older Elph cameras and they work nice.

Pawpaw said...

If waterproofing was the deal-breaker, I'd go with the GoPro Hero. Amazon has one for $199, and GoPro has established a reputation as a rugged and durable camera.

Jonathan H said...

I'm still deciding which features are most important. I definitely want zoom and good still picture resolution, and for my scuba diving I need waterproof, so I will probably end up with 2 cameras for different uses.