Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tuesday Teaser

I'm watching a grandson today on a cold, rainy Tuesday in November.  Nothing much happening around the casa today, except that we've got to go shopping after while to restock our larder.  PawPaw is going to make a big gumbo later today because a cold, rainy November day demands a gumbo..

The kiddo is watching cartoons in the toy room, and PawPaw is surfing around the intertubes.  It seems that Nosler is bringing out a brand-new, whizbang cartridge.  The .26 Nosler.  According to their teaser, it's a non-belted, long action cartridge that will launch the 129 grain Accubond at 3400 fps.  Surfing around the usual forums doesn't reveal a great deal about the new cartridge.  Nosler is keeping the information close-held until the SHOT show roll out, and I can understand that they're trying to create buzz.  I get it.

Some folks are wondering if they'll use the .375 Ruger cartridge as a base for their new cartridge.  It seems to fit the criteria.  Non-belted, plenty of powder room, fits in a long action, etc.  Maybe so, it ought to hold a lot of powder.  Shades of PO Ackley and Charlie Newton, there's nothing new under the sun.  Many of the wagging tongues say that it's bound to be a barrel burner, but I suspect that this won't be a cartridge where people worry about their barrel throats.  Two kinds of shooters don't.  The first is the long-range target crowd, who regularly change barrels anyway.  The second is the pure FUDD hunting crowd, which aren't high-volume shooters.

Before you get your shorts in a knot, I readily identify with that FUDD group.  For example, my .30-06 gets shot maybe 20 times per year.  A few three shot groups to verify zero, then whatever I burn during the hunting season.  If my -06 was a barrel-burner and only good for 1000 rounds, at 20 rounds per year, I'd have to change the barrel every 50 years. Hunters simply don't care about throat erosion.  Nosler might be on a good thing with this new cartridge, or in five years it might just be an interesting footnote.  We'll see.

4 comments:

Goatwhiskers said...

There will certainly be some "hunters" that'll jump on the bandwagon 'cause it "shoots flat". Kinda like last year when a certain gun store got in a shipment of .338 Lapua Magnums. "Got a range of a mile and a half". Sold the heck out of 'em. I'm south of Avoyelles and kinda nervous about being around any open field now. GW

Pawpaw said...

How far south, Goatwhiskers? I'd love to get access to one of those large field for an afternoon of stretching out some magnums.

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of guns and other cartridges but all I shoot is a 257 Roberts and a 30-06. I guess they won't make any money off me.

Ben

Gerry N. said...

I haven't seen the .26 cal offering from Nosler, but I've been shooting and hunting with a 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser since 1964. There's also the 6.5/308, AKA .260 Remington.

If .30-06 is God's caliber, 6,5x55mm is Jesus' caliber. It is good for use on any game animal in N. America save perhaps Griz, Kodiak, and Polar Bears. Not one of which I'll ever see outside of a zoo.