Monday, April 01, 2013

Monday Musings

I called the dealership earlier today and they weren't quite finished with the F150, so I went out and loaded some .45 ACP while awaiting their call.  They called about 11:30 and said I could pick it up, so I had Milady take me to Marler to retrieve my pickup.  Surprisingly, Marler Ford came in under budget on the repairs and I was pleasantly surprised about that.  The service manager told me that the work was warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles, and for a pickup truck with 188K miles on the odometer, that isn't bad.

The ride home was uneventful, the truck ran great, and now it's is back in the driveway.

I feel pretty good about that.  This has been one of the best trucks I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of trucks.  When I was in the cattle business, I was tough on trucks and it always seemed to m that the F150 gave consistently good service under rough conditions.

Now, if I can just figure out why that Check Engine light is lit on the Mercury, I'll be a happy camper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife's Jeep has that problem and has had the oxygen sensor replaced 3 times. The last one to do it didn't get paid as he was told in writing not to do so. I've been told the likely thing is that there is a short in the wiring to the sensor but everyone I've taken it to wants to just replace the sensor.

The check engine light on this privately owned rural mail vehicle has been on for right at 100K miles.

Old NFO said...

Sounds like you got a good one there! Fords and Chevys tend to either be real good, or real bad... :-)

Rivrdog said...

$40 for a code reader, PawPaw, and they clear the codes and turn off the light, too.

Mine's called a "C-reader" and it included a book of codes.

You can get a kit that makes your laptop into a code reader also.

Btw, there's a 50-mile reset distance to run off after a reset before you will be able to get smooth running or the best fuel milage again.

Pawpaw said...

Good tip, Rivrdog. I've been Googling them and may buy one soon. However, my local parts guy has a reader and he plugged it in, we decided that I had cured the fault and he turned off the little light. The Mercury is good-to-go at this point.