Saturday, April 27, 2013

Grilling

Our immediate family started a tradition a year or so ago.  Every two weeks, we meet at one or another's house on a rotating basis.  We cook, eat, tell lies, laugh and generally bond as a family.  Another tradition is that on the last Saturday of April, we open the swimming pool.  Whether it is too cool to swim or not is not PawPaw's concern.  The pool is open and the actual time spent in the pool is on the parents.

Due to a happy confluence of these two events, I'll be hosting the bi-weekly gathering at my house today.  There are two birthdays being celebrated, both of them grandsons.  Milady always lets the birthday critter choose the menu.  One wanted spaghetti and meatballs, the other wanted hamburgers, so we're cooking both this evening.

PawPaw went out to look at the charcoal grill and found that winter has eaten a hole in the bottom of it.  That grill has been in the backyard for eight years and I know how to cook on it, so I went down to the box store and found another just like it.

That's the Char-Griller Outlaw model, and I like the way that grill cooks.  I don't know yet if I'll put a drop-box on it, but they're easily available.  As much as I like a drop-box, I really don't use one that often.  I've got some ideas to build a smoke-box that don't require the drop-box.  We'll see how those ideas play out.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love the glowing yellow aura of grilling awesomeness. MEAT!!

Old NFO said...

Great ideas, and enjoy the grill! I don't think there is a better way to get folks together!!! :-)