Thursday, February 22, 2007

Nothing personal

Based on some recent conversations I've had about police work, there are a few things that the general public doesn't understand.

First, if I give you a ticket, it's nothing personal. I'm doing a job.

Likewise, if I arrest you and cart your butt off to jail, it's nothing personal. Next week, I might not even remember your name.

The police don't just show up when you and your wife are having an argument. Somebody invited us. Probably a neighbor.

If I'm working traffic on a particular stretch of road, I don't catch every speeder. Have you ever been fishing? Did you catch all the fish in the lake? Me neither. I just catch the ones I can.

Law and Order is Hollywood. It's TV, which is to say, fantasy. I do not get DNA results in an hour and I haven't seen a single good latent print in the last five years.

No, I can't test that unknown substance and tell you what it is. If it isn't yours, get rid of it.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

No comments: