Saturday, October 10, 2020

Well, That's Done

 Delta came across the house as a strong tropical storm, not the Cat 1 hurricane we were expecting.

This morning before daylight, I still have power and internet service.  The wind has quit howling, it's down to a gentle breeze, and the rain has devolved to a steady drizzle.  Every hurricane is different, and this one turned in to a rain event.  We probably got 12 inches of rain over the past 36 hours. 

For many people over the coming days, this will turn into a flood, and all the rain drains out of the hills, swells the creeks and bayous and as the backwater stacks up, the flooding begins. The Calcasieu, the Ouiska Chitto and the Vermillion won't crest for a couple of days, and the crest will flow toward the Gulf.

When Belle and I bought this place, one of he first things I checked was the elevation.  If this place floods, a whole lot of people will be treading water.

But, as I type this, Delta is moving off to the north, where over the next day or so, she'll turn into a rain event for the Tennessee valley.

1 comment:

robert orians said...

And I'm heading down to Tennessee to get a load of hay next week ! I guess I'll take my tarp .