Monday, October 05, 2020

A New Hat

 Over a year ago, I bought a new hat, a Stetson Diamond Jim.  It's a hat that suits my style.  Straw for cool wearing in hot, humid Louisiana.  It has a pinch-front crease, which I like because I eschew the Cattleman's crease.

It's a little dressy, and I've worn it a lot.  Past Saturday, Belle and I were our-and-about, and she remarked that my hat was beginning to get a bit more character than she liked. I agreed that it was getting abit ratty, and that I should perhaps order a new one.

Shepler's is still open and I put one on order this morning.

I would love to own an El Presidente, a premium dress hat made of 100% beaver felt, but every example I've seen comes with that damnable cattleman's crease.  If they offered it in a pinch front, I'd order it in a minute.  I suspect that I am going to be forced to find a custom hat maker to get what I really want, but I'm not familiar with who I can trust.

Suggestions?

11 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

https://greeleyhatworks.com/

Whatever said...

^^^ came here to say that. Official hat supplier to ‘Yellowstone’ for whatever that’s worth, which is how I found them, but damn good hats.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Should have added the owner goes the extra mile. I took him a filthy grime and dirt encrusted 100 year old hat. It took him a couple of months but he restored it to near new condition.

Judy said...

Can't the crown be re-steamed to whatever crease you would like?
The only hat shop I know about is Hatman Jack in Wichita, KS.
https://www.hatmanjacks.com/

Dad said...

Powder River Hat Company, Elizabeth, Colorado

Gaffer said...

Look at Hatman Jack's in Wichita KS

Dave said...

Ross Elder, Elder Originals

https://www.elderoriginals.com/

Old NFO said...

Huskey Hat Co. Wichita Falls. (940) 767-2071. I use them and they will put any crease you want in the hat of your choice. They also carry Stetson and Resistol hats.

JayNola said...

You might call up meyer's in New Orleans. The old man or one of his sons might be able to steer you right.
https://meyerthehatter.com/

Robert said...

Good luck on your search.

Y'all make me feel downright underdressed. :-)

I was told in no uncertain terms that I was a barbarian for actually pinching the pinch front whilst removing my hat. Turns out my dermatitis was from the hat. Sigh. Ball caps are so gauche...

Bob said...

Take a look at Akubra hats, sold in the US by David Morgan. They're Australian-made of rabbit fur felt. I own two of them myself. The sell some of them with "open crown" which means you put your own bash (shape) to the crown yourself, and give instructions on how to do so. Alternatively, you can buy one with a pre-creased crown.