Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Drinking Water

 Drinking water is important to troops in the field, and it's important to hurricane survivors who might not be able to access water during their recovery.

Grandson Quinton is working at a FEMA warehouse on Camp Beauregard.  He was put on orders ater Hurricane Laura and has been  there ever since, pushing supplies to the folks who need it.  Tarps MRE's and drinking water.  It's honest work, and they're paying him.

Today, he came home with a little carton of water, what they're pusing out to the hurricane relief effort.  It's a one-liner carton o water, bottled in Georgia.


That didn't surprise me much, as I'm sure that lots has change in the 20+ years since I retired.  What was interesting was the expiration date on top of the carton.  Best used by December, 2031.  That's right.  Over ten years in that carton.

In 1973 I ate C-rations that had been packaged in 1946.  Those pork patties had been dead longer than I had been alive.

When I was in the black-boot army, we used to get water our of something we called a water buffalo.  I would not walk past a water buffalo without filling my canteens.


That is an M149 Trailer, Water, 400 gallon, affectionately known my soldiers of my era as a water buffalo.  The Army has changed a bit over the years.

7 comments:

zdogk9 said...

Yuo, c rats, that pig's been dead longer than I've been alive.

Anonymous said...

That water in a box doesn't taste very good, but makes good coffee.

Jug

Anonymous said...

So how did the patties taste? Did they make you sick?

Anonymous said...

(Don McCollor) Grand Forks ND 1997 flood. City engineer pulls up with a pickup truck of cases labeled "Budweiser"...First guy to try one "This shit is water" (Known as Floodweiser")...But Bud's heart was in the right place trying to help us...

Unknown said...

I love SOFIA water.. where can I buy some?

Keisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That water is amazing. Very refreshing! I was given some here in Louisiana for hurricane Ida and my son and I truly loves it. I need more