Thursday, October 08, 2020

Here Comes Delta

 Six weeks ago, on August 27th, we got hit by Hurricane Laura.  The eye-wall passed abut 50 miles west of my humble abode, but we experienced Category 1 conditions here.  I was lucky, but many of my friends and neighbors were not. Many people were out of electricity locally for more than a week.  The crews did a herculean job of restoring services, and I applauded their efforts.

It looks like we're in for round two.  The track of Hurricane Delta has firmed up.  It looks like it's coming ashore somewhere near Cameron, LA sometime tomorrow, probably as a Category 2 storm.  This time the track is a tiny bit to the east of Laura's track, which means that it's coming right up through here.

There will always be a tiny bobble or wobble, but as of this morning, the track is not good news for people who were hit hard six weeks ago.


That red dot with a 1 in it?  That's my buddy Mark's house.  Just north of there, under the track near Alexandria, that's my house. It will come across me either as a weakened Cat 1 or a strong tropical storm  The difference between the two is a nit-pick.

We'll be okay.  I have full faith that this is just another opportunity to show resilience and strength.  The one up-side is that much of our infrastructure has been rebuilt.  It should be stronger than it was six weeks ago. We'll see.

I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but I'm praying that it turns sooner rather than later.  The sooner it makes the turn, the more easterly the track will become, and they always wobble a bit before landfall.

God's will be done.

6 comments:

DaveS said...

Good luck! Hoping for the best for you , your family and friends.

GJoe said...

God speed Paw Paw

JayNola said...

Lord, let us be grateful for what we are about to receive.

Old NFO said...

Saying a prayer for y’all.

robert orians said...

That is a scary looking storm on radar for sure. Prayers for my Bayou brothers and sisters . https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/

Anonymous said...

Good luck Pawpaw, you take care of what needs taking care of. You have our prayers as well.