Friday, June 21, 2013

Out of Town

In another couple of hours, Milady and I are going to get in the car and head south.  Today is our 10th Anniversary, and a nephew is getting married tomorrow, so we're heading to Covington, LA to meet other members of the family and celebrate his wedding.  He's got a great gal; she's been hanging around the family for several years.  They're through with college and launched, so they've decided it's time to take the next step.  They're both great kids, and I hope for them the happiness that comes with a long, blissful marriage.

The one downside to this trip is that I've got to drive through Baton Rouge.  When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and the levees failed, about half of the refugees from that disaster washed ashore in Baton Rouge, effectively doubling the population of the city, literally in the space of a week.  It's been nearly eight years since Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast and the roadwork in Baton Rouge has yet to catch up to the increase in population.  Traffic there is a disaster on a good day.  There's a place called the 10-12 split, where traffic toward New Orleans goes down I-10, and traffic to the North Shore and points east go down I-12.  That interchange has been known to turn into an eight lane parking lot and I dread going through there every time I drive in Baton Rouge.

I have promised Milady that in honor of our anniversary I will not actively curse every idiotic driver I see when we get to Baton Rouge.  It is normally my practice to critique the driving habits of idiots and that stretch of road is full of them.

So, we'll be out of town this weekend and back on Sunday mid-day.  Y'all have a great weekend.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Happy anniversary pop, and to Mrs Jane too! Have fun and give the newlyweds our best!

mostly cajun said...

Baton Rouge has a couple of those points of joy.

The 10-12 split is one, for sure.

The other is taht bane of I-10 travelers, the 10-110 split at the foot of the Mississippi River Bridge. I hate the second worse than the first.

AT least some days I can cross the river when the Community Coffee mill is roasting. If the wind's right, you can get a caffeine buzz just crossing the river.

MC

Dave O. said...

Happy birthday, Pawpaw! Have a good weekend.

Old NFO said...

Uh huh, SURE you're not going to cuss those asshats... :-) I'm betting you don't last more than 15 minutes... :-) Y'all enjoy the wedding and the down time!