Thursday, June 06, 2013

Doctors Appointments

When I was in the Army, I ran almost every day.  When I was in the Reserves, I ran almost every day.  When I retired, I quit that bullshit.  Running sucks.

I went to the Doctor today and he tells me that I've got to make some lifestyle modifications. Get some exercise, lose a little weight, get my blood sugar down below 5.9.  If I don't, as that hemoglobin A1C creeps up toward 6.5, diabetes looms on my horizon.  We've tried diet, but he tells me I need to start moving, get some exercise.

I thought I was through with that crap.  But, having been a soldier, I know how to do a personal PT program that doesn't require a gym membership.  The state of Louisiana still has roads, and I need roadwork.  This time it isn't so that I can meet some arbitrary standard for unit fitness.  This time it's so that I can keep aggravating the crap out of people who richly deserve it, which is an altogether admirable goal.  So, as much as I hate PT, it looks like it's going to become a part of my daily regimen.  Damn it all to hell.  I will NOT pay a gym, so anyone who suggests such a thing can forget that crap.

God, I hate PT.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

You should try swimming. It's great cardio and resistance training with minimal sweating. It would give you a good reason to get into your lovely pool that you take such good care of for the rest of us ;)

Ed Jones said...

My A1C jumps up down around 7.2 to 6.8, the days I do not play golf I have to walk two miles on the treadmill to keep it below 7.0. its not great but I have been fussing with it for 12 years now and can still get on with life. Good luck with PT, I hated it for 24 years, Air Force and Army AGR.

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I'm putting yours on mine. Hope you don't mind.
http://thedailysmug.blogspot.com/
http://constitutioncoalition.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Walking is bout as good as running for those our age. dont hurt as bad.
My doc was happy when mine was 6.5 or less.

Old NFO said...

Concur on the walking, and I need to do that too... sigh...

Papa Guy said...

this gettin' old shit ain't for sissys

be603 said...

eliminated the wheat, cut the carbs to <100g/day and did it. BP dropped 50 pts to healthy range too -- in weeks.

be603 said...

...and w/out any added PT.

Gerry N. said...

I can no longer run nor walk more than about 50 yards. So our local Rec. Center pool gets to admire my beached whale impression twice a week. It's helping, and no back pain. I have four diagnosed lower back conditions, not one of which I can remember the name of. Those, Atrial Fibrillation and diabetes conspire to make my life less good. Not bad, mind you, just less good.

I agree, old age is no place for sissies. Now I know why so many old folks were so crabby when I was a kid.

Gerry N.

MSgt B said...

Preach it, Brother.

Hobie said...

I'm in the same boat. Hoooorah...

Rivrdog said...

Hooah, indeed! I'm in the same boat. I can diet successfully, and when I do, my A1c goes down to the non-diabetic level, but when I eat more than 1500-1700 calories/day, or more than 50 gm fat, the A1c drifts upward again. A year ago, I was 170#, now am 200#. A year ago, A1c was 5.6, now it's 6.5

I used to pound the pavement to keep "fit" according to USAF and the Sheriff's standards, but the knees just won't take it anymore, nor will the lower back.

I don't buy all this gluten crap, it's a fad diet. Whenever a diet depends on "how do you FEEEEL" instead of what are the numbers, it's a fad. I can feel just fine with a controlled intake of good whisky, but the Jackie Gleason diet doesn't do a thing for the numbers.

The numbers are about portion control, carb and fat control, and such exercise as limited food intake will allow. Never forget that when you diet, you lose muscle mass first, and skeletal injuries caused by dieting are quite common in our age group.

Yep, its all about diet and just enough exercise to keep up the muscle mass and avoid skeletal injuries.

My regimen is to pound into the dieting, but EASE into the exercise.