Thursday, February 10, 2011

That .45-70

I got an email from Junior yesterday. Junior is my dear friend and co-owner of Castbullet.com The meat of the email was:
If I were you, I'd hunt your pipeline deer stand with that Sharps rifle next season. I've wondered all this past season why you didn't do that???
Of course, once he said that, it got me to wondering.

And on top of everything else, it got me to hankering to get that Sharps out and start playing with it. The bore is still bright as I've been pushing rods down the barrel occasionally, but I haven't shot that rifle in about five years. I'm not convinced that the ladder sight I have on it will be the best for the deer woods. Set up like it is now, it's more a target rifle than a deer-stand rifle. That tiny hole in that peep sight needs the light to be just right or it's awfully hard to squint through the l'il bitty hole.


I've been thinking about Sharps rifles and deer stands all day long. It's a good thing that I've got eight more months till the deer season. I guess it's time to get reacquainted.

2 comments:

Zdogk9 said...

Since you have so much time, get a copy of "The Paper Jacket", I think you'll enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I got a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70 a while ago.
I have shot it but not hunted with it yet.
This could be a good year to do something about that.