Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sunday Alcohol

We've all known our share of blue laws, those laws that purport to tell us what we can or cannot do on a given day of the week. From Hot Air, we learn that Georgia is going through a nut-roll about alcohol sales. Fair enough. They need to go through this debate ever year until they repeal those ignorant laws.

I've been in those states where you had to buy booze down at the gummint likker store, and I always thought that was a bit silly. The free market will figure out how to sell whiskey if you let them. For that matter, the free market will figure out how to sell whiskey even if you don't let them. The biggest auto racing league in the nation, NASCAR, was founded on the backs of guys who ran bootleg whiskey during the week and raced their cars on the weekend. I have a very good friend who once ran a bootleg operation out of a store in a dry parish here in Louisiana. He sold a lot of hooch out of that store.

You can outlaw it, but you're not going to stop it. The easiest way to get around blue laws is simply to stock up during the week when you're allowed to buy your hooch.

I'm a big a church-goer as the next guy, and I firmly believe in our God. But I don't believe that He wants the government telling me how to observe the Sabbath. The government has no business telling me how to observe the Sabbath, and any clergyman who says otherwise is a hypocrite. You can tell them PawPaw said so. Or, give me their emails, and I'll tell them myself.

3 comments:

Rivrdog said...

I live in a gummint-store state, Oregon. Booze is 30% higher here than in CA and AZ, so when I'm down there, I load up. Sorry, Guvner.

A big NorthWest shout-out to Milady. Home has GOT to feel good.

J said...

Rivrdog, in my experience the plum political job in your state is almost certainly the Commissioner of Alcoholic Beverage Control. Drive by his house and see some high-$ boats and vehicles--which could not be financed on his state paycheck.

Rivrdog said...

@ J...I had a buddy who worked at the Milwaukee warehouse...when a forklift broke down, they stopped work, didn't even try to get small loads out of the warehouse that were hand-loaded into the vans and pickups of tavern owners.

Can you say "spoiled by monopoly"?

I knew you could.