Sunday, February 13, 2011

Open Carry

Breda talks about the open carry of firearms, and I admit that I have certain reservations about open carry, although I carry openly on a regular basis. No, not because I'm a cop, but because I spend as much time as possible in the woods, and I carry openly when I'm cruising the lease. This is just about as Open Carry as you can get.


That's me, carrying the rifle. What you don't see is the Ruger Blackhawk under the jacket. It's appropriate and mannerly. As Breda says, manners matter. I believe that Emily Post would agree with that sentiment. Generally, it doesn't do any good to alienate people, and an "in-your-face" attitude about anything tends to alienate people. That's not good marketing.

I've been to Decadence in New Orleans, a big festival of and for gay folks. It's a huge hoot, but I can see how some people are put-off by the in-your-face attitude. Just as I'm put-off by in-your-face racial attitudes. It's not good manners, it's not good marketing, it's not good for the movement.

I'm a huge advocate for folks exercising their rights. Whether it's gun rights, gay rights, racial right. I'm also realistic enough to know that many times, attitude matters, manners matter, marketing is important. In all social activities, if you're making someone uncomfortable, you're probably hurting your message.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Manners matter... TRUE! And something all of us need to remember!

Anonymous said...

Since I became old enough to go hiking, camping, fishing or hunting by myself I have carried a firearm and at least fifty rounds of ammunition for it. Since I passed the age of majority, I have carried a carbine and a handgun in the same caliber; almost always .22 long rifle. My current carry combo is a Spanish Destroyer Carbine and a Star B pistol in 9mm Parabellum. As soon as I can accumulate the funding, I'll acquire a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine to complement my M1 Carbine.

Another thing, in my lifetime, I've never had to draw my sidearm in my own defense, it's mere presence was enough.

Gerry N.