Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Semi-Annual Trek

I made my semi-annual trek to Alexandria today to buy liquor.

I bought a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon, a bottle of Canadian whiskey, a bottle of rum, and one bottle of pina colada mix. We will use some of these spirits tomorrow when we host a barbeque.

That amount of liquor will be sufficient for my needs until Christmas, when I'll make another trek for booze, probably in conjuntion with Christmas shopping.

It would be really nice to have the option of buying whiskey in Pineville. As you can tell from my purchases, I am not a drunk. I enjoy a bit of whiskey when I entertain. The nannies here in Pineville aren't going to stop me from having an occasional toddy, but they will make me drive across the river.

Of course, they lose the tax money that goes with liquor sales. If I want beer I can buy it here, and I do because I would rather that my tax dollar stays as close to home as possible, but the nannies in charge would rather I drive across the river. I bet that there are thousands of people who feel the same way I do about liquor in Pineville.

The folks who say that they don't want liquor in Pineville don't represent me. Trying to legislate morality never works. Trying to enact prohibition is a fool's mission. We proved that during Prohibition.

I'll continue to travel across the river and take my tax dollars there until the folks in Pineville, Tioga, and Ball wake up and understand that their little communities have changed since 1980. It's time for a local referendum.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FWIW,

The mayor of Pineville agrees with you; he just is careful how he presents it.
I would settle for "hard" liquor sales in resturants only, with the 6% rule everywhere else, if that would pacify the nannies and busy-bodies.
I think an upscale resturant near the Jackson/Main street bridge(on the Pineville side), overlooking the river, complete with a boat dock would do well. But what do I know.........

Termite

Anonymous said...

I suspect some of the companies building multimijillion $ motels in Pineville got a rude awakening when somebody told them, "Hey, you do know you can't sell even beer in your restaurant, don't you?"

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
oyster said...

Ridiculous. I agree with Paw Paw: it's time for a local referendum.

I can't think of a New Orleanian who wouldn't stand with you and support this reform effort.