Sunday, July 08, 2007

Preparation

My buddy Junior reminds me that we have 104 days before the start of the muzzleloading deer season in Louisiana. Archery season begins before that.

In the heat of July, it's hard to think about deer season, but you're likely to have a better season if you begin preparation now. This is nothing hard, or onerous, just common-sense ideas to make your opening day a truly memorable affair.

Decide on your deer load. If you reload, it's time to pore over the load charts and targets you've been shooting and decide on one load per caliber for each game animal you're likely to chase. If you don't reload, still settle on one brand and loading.

Sight in your rifle using that load. Then, get away from the bench. Practice from field positions you're likely to use. For Louisiana's pine woods, I'm going to practice snap shots at 50 yards, and I'm going to practice deliberate shots at 100 yards. If I were hunting Idaho, or Missouri, or Kentucky, I'd practice the shots I'd likely use in those locations.

Practice with your hunting loads. If you can only afford one box of ammo, practice with 15 of them and save the other five for hunting. Those five shots will be plenty if you are ready for the hunt.

If you can't get to the range and practice as much as you'd like, (and who can?), then practice at home with a safe rifle. Make the rifle safe and practice sighting on something that won't cause the neighbors to get squirrely. I stand in my carport and sight on a stop sign at the end of the street. I crank the magnification all the way up and practice holding the crosshairs on that sign. At nine power, it is amazing how much muzzle wobble is apparent in the sights. Practice your positions and try to use your sling. Practice getting the sling into a hasty firing position and getting the crosshairs on the target. I've been doing this for two weeks and it's amazing how much better I was than when I started.

Start gathering gear. Find that hunting knife and make sure it's sharp. Get out your compass and walk around the yard with it. Find your hunting hat. If you want or need new boots, now's the time to start breaking them in. If you need new maps, now's the time to order them.

Hunting season is coming. A little preparation now will make all the difference when that big mossy-horned buck steps out into the light. Get ready.

No comments: