Monday, July 02, 2007

LDWF Deer Tag Harvest Card

I was digging though my wallet today and found my deer tag harvest card. Issued by the Louisiana Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries, it purports to keep track of deer harvested and requires that we report this information to the Department at the end of the year.

I need to mail mine in. The instructions on the bottom of the card say that we can report it online, but they fail to give us a web address where we can report the deer killed. I've been searching the site for the past half hour, without success.

It's my considered opinion that a reporting site online for the program simply doesn't exist. I have a long love/hate relationship with LDWF, mainly because they print things on the cards, like "Must be returned after deer hunting season for validation, or submitted at LDWF internet site.", then they never bother to set up the internet site. That is basic incompetence. It is my opinion that most of the people who work at LDWF are basically incompetent. It really is that simple.

But, just because the state is incompetent doesn't mean we shouldn't report the deer we killed. Hopefully, some good biologist can use the data we voluntarily report. Of course, if you were trying to skew the data, you'd just make something up and send in bad data, but I'm not going to recommend that. My card is accurate as to sex, type, date, and parish killed. All the blocks are filled in. I didn't kill a deer last year and my card reflects NONE KILLED.

Be sure to mail in your Deer Tag Harvest Card.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been removed from the web site for some reason. They also removed the ability to buy a license online.