Monday, July 02, 2007

Mary Landrieu and Immigration

A recent article in The Advocate asks if Senator Landrieu's recent vote wasn't a political vote.
The Landrieu vote is perceived by one expert to be the first sign of a delicate balancing act that she will have to maintain during the next year as she prepares to defend her Democratic seat in a state that Bush carried with 58 percent of the vote in 2004.
Sure it was. Mary is a political creature. All her votes are political.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Mary Landrieu seems to be a moderate. She is political enough to understand who put her in office and she makes sure her vote reflects the needs and opinions of her constituents. I could do a whole lot worse with another person in her seat.

I've had my differences with the Landrieu family in the past and with Mary in the past, but I have to admit she does a pretty good job as one of my Senators. She's not as quick to respond to email as Senator Vitter, or Representative Alexander, but I get updates from her occasionally.

Yeah, Mary's got her faults, but the senior Senator from Louisiana listens to me. That counts for a lot.

Folks who would criticize her should cut Mary some slack. If the Repubs don't field a whiz-bang candidate, she's going to be tough to beat. The way she's been voting lately, she suits me just fine.

1 comment:

oyster said...

Wow.

For a second I thought I was reading an entirely different blog.