Thursday, July 05, 2007

Savage Model 10 FLP

I got the Savage out of layaway on Tuesday and gave it to Joey on Wednesday.

His rifle, a Savage Model 10 FLP in .308 Winchester. This is the law enforcement rifle, a heavy barreled, short action, left hand turnbolt. He intends to punch holes in paper with it and maybe do a little hunting, but it's going to be mainly a target rifle. A 500 yard target rifle. It should be uniquely suited to that purpose. The rifle was designed as a police marksman rifle and has good reviews from every source I've found that reviews such rifles. I told Joey that I'd buy the rifle, but that he is on the hook for a scope and mounts. This rifle deserves a good scope.

This is the fourth Savage I've bought. I have two, the standard 111 FHNS in .30-06 and a standard Model 11 FNXP3 in .243 Winchester. Both of mine are capable of good hunting accuracy, in the range of 1", although with my old eyes, 2" off the bench and 3" using hunting positions are more like the accuracy I expect.

My second-son Matt has the 111 FV, basically a heavy barrel long action in 7mm Remington Magnum. Savage cataloged it for one year, several years ago and I was able to find one. Matt's rifle, off the bipod, is capable of 1/2 accuracy with good handloads. We've settled on a load of 64.2 grs of IMR4831 under a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Remington brass, CCI magnum primers. This load is the standard for this rifle and the groups keep getting smaller. With less that 200 shots through the rifle, I suspect that the barrel is just now getting broke in and half-inch groups are probably as good as this rifle will do. Still, this is a full-house 7mm Magnum, throwing a 140 grain bullet at 3025 fps. That rifle ain't no slouch, either in the power or the accuracy department.

Joey's got a couple of boxes of ammo for his rifle and instructions on how to break it in. I've got a feeling that this is going to be a very accurate rifle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a Lefty also, I want one badly!

Did your son say if the extra weight is an issue? Its only a pound more than the standard barrel, but it looks like it would be a little muzzle heavy.

Just wondering.....

Jerry in SI

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A .308 SAVAGE MODEL 10 WITH THE ACCUTRIGGER AND THE HEAVY BARREL. BROWNING INVENTED THE BOSS SYSTEM TO MAXIMIZE ACCURACY AS THE BULLET LEAVES THE MUZZLE, THE MUZZLE VIBRATES CAUSING THE BULLET TO LEAVE AT A DIFFERENT SPOT EACH TIME CAUSING INACCURACY. THE HEAVY BARREL SEEMS TO NOT VIBRATE LIKE THE SMALLER SKINNY BARRELS. THE BARREL COOLS QUICKER TOO. I HAVE OWNED A BROWNING BAR WITH THE BOSS AND ALSO A BROWNING A BOLT, I SOLD THEM BOTH AND I SWEAR THE .3O8 MODEL 10 HOLDS 1 TO 1/2 INCH GROUPS EVERY TIME AT 100 YARDS. I SHOT A 50 CENT PEICE 2 TIMES WITH 2 SHOTS AT 100 YARDS. I MUST SAY 100 YARDS IS NOT A CHALLENGE IN ANY WAY WITH THIS GUN AND AT 250 I KEEP A 4 INCH GROUP SO FAR, MUST HAVE RIFLE BEST I EVER SHOT! ALL WITH CHEEP FACTORY FEDERAL SOFT POINT 150 GRAIN.