Thursday, July 26, 2007

Newspapers

Newspapers are going through changes. The internet has changed the way we get our news, although there are still people without internet service, or those folks who don't care a whit about the internet.

This post ain't about that. Used to be, newspapers were wrapped with a rubber band. A simple rubber band. A lot of households had a drawer or a bowl or something that collected these rubber bands. No one ever needed to buy a rubber band if they subscribed to the newspaper.

Although I read my news off the Intertubes, my lady still insists on reading the paper with her coffee. She subscribes. I've been going out and getting her newspaper every morning, and I've noticed that whatever the weather the newpaper now comes wrapped in a plastic bag.

I needed a rubber band the other day and couldn't find one in the house. I had to go to the store and buy a bag of rubber bands. In 50-something years, that was the first box of rubber bands I had ever bought for household use.

Thanks, newspaper guys.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if our experiences are similar, that bag of rubber bands will last you another 50 years.

I'd have settled for a blister pack of 10 when I needed just one a long time ago.

Anonymous said...

Brings back great memories of the days when I was 14ish and had a paper route. The Newspaper sold us the little red 'bands in one pound bags for $1.
Occasionally my whole family would degenerate into a full scale rubber band war. No rules, no "sides", just full blown mayhem.
I can still see my mom crouched behind the overstuffed chair trying to get an angle at my sister cowering in the hall doorway.
Mom, Dad, 4 brothers and one sister, no one was exempt, in fact my father took great pride in his marksmanship and ruthlessness.

Ah, those were the days.

Rivrdog said...

When you figure out a use for the newspaper bags, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Here in the Great Pacific Northwet, a rubber band is scant protection from the rain. Plastic bags are better than having to hang the Sunday fishwrap over chair backs to dry it out enough that it doesn't mildew before I wrap the garbage in it.
Gerry N.

Anonymous said...

george said...
When you figure out a use for the newspaper bags, let me know.


Cleaning out the litter box --

Stuff a couple in your pocket when taking Fido for a walk in the park --

Keep a couple in the boot (trunk to you Yanks) for when you need to check the oil level while in your Sunday best --