Monday, July 02, 2007

Crappy Phones

We sure have sunk to new lows in this country, the things we'll put up with from our phone company(s).

Remember when telephones were indestructible? You could rip it from the wall, bounce it off the floor, use it to hammer a nail, then plug it back in and get dial tone?

Try that with your cell phone. Cell phones are disposable telephones. You can't soak them in water, or coke, or M&M's, from my certain knowledge and expect that they'll continue to function. They have multiple functions. Some have cameras. I've learned that when you combine functions, like camera phone, you get a crappy phone and a crappy camera.

Today, the Iphone comes out. The ultimate function phone. It's supposed to combine file-management, with motion picture, with Internet, with telephone. I bet it sucks at everything. And people will pay for it anyway. Which really surprises me, because up till recently, I wouldn't pay for a phone. Recently, I paid 29.95 for a cool flip phone that isn't as good as the free Nokia I soaked in coca-cola.

I'd pay for a phone that was rugged. A phone I could drop in the pool. A phone I could drop in my pocket and wade through the swamp. A phone that would survive in a pocket with keys and a pocketknife. A phone that could ride on the motorcycle and slide down the road like a pebble. That's a phone I'd pay for. If I want a camera, I'll bring a camera. If I want a computer, I'll bring a computer. I don't need all that in a telephone. I do need a rugged telephone that will survive all that I and four grandkids can put it through.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you want a Nextel, at least the old ones. My brother once threw one off the roof of a 3 story building to see if it would survive the contact with the sidewalk.

It did.

They were some tough sons of bitchs - too bad they weighed as much as a brick.

Rivrdog said...

If you can't get a rugged phone, you can get a rugged case. Check the marine supply places and you can find a case that will survive a dropping AND a dunking. Problem is, it will be sealed, so you have to have one of the phones that flashes so you can see it.

girlvet said...

I used to repair those indestructible phones.

Anonymous said...

For the last 8-10 years I never went anywhere without a phone and could not imagine getting through the day without it.
Earlier this year I decided that $120 per month for 4 phones was too much, so I tossed mine, bought my beloved a disposable to keep in her car, and told my son to fund his own. Now the monthly bill is $12 (for the land-line) and I don't miss it a bit.

Anonymous said...

I'd pay for a phone that was rugged. A phone I could drop in the pool. A phone I could drop in my pocket and wade through the swamp. A phone that would survive in a pocket with keys and a pocketknife. A phone that could ride on the motorcycle and slide down the road like a pebble. That's a phone I'd pay for. If I want a camera, I'll bring a camera. If I want a computer, I'll bring a computer. I don't need all that in a telephone.

AMEN BROTHER, PREACH ON!!

Termite