Thursday, July 16, 2020

Sight Upgrade

In 2003 I purchased a Kimber 1911A1 for duty carry and used it as a duty pistol until 2008, when the Sheriff bought a bunch of pistols and insisted we use them.  I retired that pistol and it became a off0duty, or range gun. I'm an old 1911 fan.  While I see utility in other platforms, to include the current crop of polymer pistols, I still like the 1911 a lot.  I carried it in the Army, and have since used it for sport and recreation.

In 2017 I started noticing that I had trouble seeing the front sight of any o my pistols, and after a prescription change, learned that I have something called macular degeneration, a disease of the retina.  It poses challenges in many ways, particularly in seeing small detail in the exact center of the visual field.  We caught it early, and I'm doing what the doctor tells me, and I'm learning to live with it.  But, that problem in the center of the visual field is the exact spot I use to find the front sight on a pistol.  I needed a big, honking front sight.

A couple of weeks ago, I was casting about, looking for alternatives, and went to  the XS Sight System web page.  I started researching the system, and thought that it might be what I was looking for.  I ordered a set for the Kimber..  They came in earlier this week, so I set about installing them.

The video from XS was a big help.  I've installed sights in dovetails in the past, and it is important to remember to file the sight base, not the dovetail in the slide.  Fit the sight to the dovetail..  About 30 minutes with a set of jewelers files and I was done. 

Screen grab from XS video
I can see that front sight, and all I'm looking for is minute-of-goblin out to 25 yards or so. I think that this sight is just exactly what I need.  Next week I'll get out and do some range work,   If they work as well and I expect them to, I may have to pick up a set for my Shield.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After firearm is safe remove slide and tape off all around the front sight. Mix clear quick dry epoxy with day glow poster paint 50/50 and apply to front sight that you have trouble seeing. You don't have to be precise you can make your sight larger with this mixture. Let harden overnight and then file or sand to a size that works for you. Buff with a soft cloth and apply a coat of clear nail polish. I made my old version of my lcp sight larger / very visible using this method. Did an old Glock also.