Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Spooking The Herd

There's this nice lady at church, who has been coming to our fast draw club for the past year or so, and she's getting better at the game.  She's been using one of Belle's guns, and that's fine.  We recommend that every new shooter to this game try several different revolvers because there are minute differences that make a difference.  She has finally settled on the Traditions Liberty model, and it's out-of-stock everywhere.

I found that odd, but I also find odd that used Glocks are out of stock.  Pre-pandemic, they were like gravel, you'd trip over them going into a gun shop.  Likewise, older Smith revolvers.

Instapundit links to an article by Tamara Keel, who reminds us that the American 2A enthusiast is a panicky herd animal who buys ammo in bulk when spooked.
The domestic commercial ammo supply is predicated on the average gun owner buying a box of pistol ammo every month or two to shoot up at the range and a box of long gun ammo once or twice a year for ditto. It’s not geared for everyone who owns a gun to run out and buy three cases at once.
Tam's right.  First-time gun buyers have an excuse.  The rest of us don't.   This demand shortage will be over when things calm down.  Might I recommend that if you're a gun owner that you keep, as a minimum, enough ammo for three range sessions plus whatever amount you might need for serious Bill of Rights work.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

I buy in bulk, a case at a time, and yes, most places are down to one box with a new gun. That's it... sigh

FredLewers said...

Every payday invest in precious metal.

Jonathan H said...

Precious metals, or base metals? I suggest both!

Yes, I also usually buy a case at a time; after all it's cheaper that way, but it does require planning.
I would suggest more than just 3 range sessions worth; I would go with the maxim of having 1,000 rounds on hand for every potential 'duty gun', or at least in that caliber, but even 300 or 500 is a good start and can last a while if it needs to.

Rich Jordan said...

During the obama .22LR drought my stockpile of said ammo helped my brother whose kids came of age to learn at the time, a local scout troop doing their practice and qualifications, and several friends.

I'm still buying ammo if I see an OK deal (rare), mostly collecting more reloading supplies.

If a coworker joins the side of the light and can't get ammo, and I can help, I will.