Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Deep Concealment

If you are going to carry a pistol, it makes sense to conceal it.  I've heard all the arguments both ways, and while I'm a fan of open carry in very limited situations, it's best to conceal your piece.  There is no sense letting a goblin know you are carrying until it's time to let him know

I've been a big fan of pocket carry, but recently I decided to upgrade my carry gun, and bought a SW Shield in 9mm.  Before you blow up the comments, I'm not a Glock guy.  I carried one for seven years as a uniformed cop and never came to like the thing.  IT's a gun, and it shoots, and I understand the utility and ubiquitousness of Gaston's Gats, but I'm simply prefer the M&P series.

However, I needed a holster or two, and durin long familiarity with Safariland products from my police career, I ordered two.

Safariland 6378
The Safariland 6378 is an outside the belt holster with the Safariland ALS system.  The gun locks to the holster and you have to know where the button is to release it.  While it's not a deep concealment holster, it is easy to conceal with a jacket or loose fitting shirt.  This holster comes with a paddle, or belt loops, and I normally unscrew the paddle and install the belt loops, simply because I've always disdained paddle holsters.  With the belt loops installed, this is a great range, woods-cruising holster that is very secure.  During the colder months it will disappear under under a jacket.  Price?  Under $50.00 anywhere.

Safariland 27

The Safariland 27 is an old design, it's been around for a while.  But, the thing about an old design is that they tend to work well over time.  This is an Inside the Pants holster with a J hook that slips under your belt and keeps everything secure.  It's made of Safari-laminate and is lined with some sort of suede that protects the gun.  I normally wear my gun at 3:00, because that's what I'm used to, and I've never been a fan of crotch-carry.  I've been wearing this holster now for a week, and I like it a lot.  It's stiff enough that it doesn't collapse when the gun is out of the holster, but the bottom is soft enough that it doesn't dig into my my hip joint.  It simply disappears under a loose polo shirt, untucked, and very few people tuck shirts in summertime Louisiana.  The price is right as well, at under $25.00 at Midway USA.

I have some more holsters coming for this little gun, and when they get here I'll review them after I've had a few weeks to try them out.  In the meantime, if you're looking for a good hoster for your EDC, take a look at Safariland.  They've served me well for several decades.

7 comments:

Howard Brewi said...

One advantage of open carry in some situations such as discouraging a stranger walking up your driveway is that you can't by accused of "brandishing". But you make them aware that you are prepared to respond.

Anonymous said...

I too, am not a fan of IWB carry and needing over-sized clothing that I can't wear for anything else. The 3 o'clock hip holster is my preferred, but my Ruger SR9c does fit in the pocket of my cargo shorts with a Remora holster. Open carry is only while hiking in the woods or on my property for me. I agree with Paw Paw, keep the goblins unaware.

Anonymous said...

I too, am not a fan of IWB carry and needing over-sized clothing that I can't wear for anything else. The 3 o'clock hip holster is my preferred, but my Ruger SR9c does fit in the pocket of my cargo shorts with a Remora holster. Open carry is only while hiking in the woods or on my property for me. I agree with Paw Paw, keep the goblins unaware.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation - your logic above makes a lot of sense. Dance with the one that brung you.

Tom in NC said...

Amazing what the correct holster can help you conceal. One of the most easily concealed guns for me in a good quality IWB holster is a 1911, not only Commander size but full size 5" model, such that summer carry under an un-tucked polo shirt or slightly large t-shirt is quite discreet. And don't forget how important it is to also have a decent belt designed specifically for supporting the weight of a gun. My Shield, which I also like, is a great even more discreet carry gun. All that said, I've been carrying a compact Sig 320 and really like it, and again a good holster really helps hide it.

Anonymous said...

Everybody who's been in the military or studied battle tactics knows that maintaining freedom of maneuver is pivotal. Freedom to maneuver gives you the ability to choose exactly when and where you will prosecute the battle, which allows you to exploit the situation to your best advantage. The loss of freedom of maneuver leaves you no choice but to stand your ground and get hammered at the time and place of your opponent's choosing.

That's why open carry in general is a bad idea. In a typical "active shooter" scenario, when you have a single assailant with multiple potential victims (i.e., targets), the shooter likely will pay closest attention to the targets who he perceives as best able to pose a threat to him continuing his murderous spree. So anyone he can tell is carrying a firearm will zoom right to the top of the list. And being the object of his attention is a bad thing because in effect it deprives you of freedom of maneuver. And it increases the likelihood that he will shoot you if you try to relocate to a position more to your tactical advantage, and especially if you attempt to produce your firearm.

But if you're carrying concealed, assume a docile posture and don't cast threatening looks in the assailant's direction, he just might pay little enough attention to you (at least in the short term) that you retain a measure of freedom of maneuver. And you might be able to get to cover/concealment, or better still, flank the shooter to a location beyond his periphery where you can draw your concealed weapon and execute a unhurried, well-aimed shot without him noticing what you're up to.

It's always best if the bad guy's first indication that you're armed is either muzzle flash or a sucking chest wound.

nunoyerbidneh said...

Recently bought a vertical scabbard (3:00 and 10:00, strong-side and cross-draw, respectively) from Wild Bill's Concealment Holsters. Not cheap, but not ridiculous, either. The holster's ride in either position is absolutely spot-on, and it's slicker'n snot on the draw.

Look him up. It's a quality product.