Thursday, March 29, 2018

Looking for Examples

You guys get on your thinking caps and help a fellow out.

I am looking for examples, any example, of a cartridge revolver (or a conversion of a percussion revolver) from the 18870-1880 era that had an octagonal barrel.

I'm pretty sure that someone in the Old West was carting around an octagonal barrel revolver, but for the life of me, I can't find any documentation.  I've even thought about writing the NRA Museum.

If you come up with something, let me know.

7 comments:

Old 1811 said...

The "open-top" (no backstrap) Colt Navy conversions had octagon barrels, and so did the Remington Army conversions. Taylor's Firearms has a number of them in their catalog.

kamas716 said...

the only ones I've ever seen in person were reproductions.

Sport Pilot said...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3c/ea/62/3cea627cf72b050ffb8c9a854346c715.jpg

1858 New Model Remington Army .44 Caliber along the lines you were inquiring about?

Anonymous said...

Rogers and Spenser Army Revolver ,44 RF . Remington Model 1858 .46 RF .

Daddy Hawk said...

I’ve been beaten to the punch on the Remington 1858, but the wiki page for them has a handy chart with manufacturing dates and barrel/caliber options.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1858

Anonymous said...

I have a repro Remington cap-and-ball revolver with an octagonal barrel which I'm pretty sure is based on the original, and there are conversions to cartridge.

Mark D

Ryan said...

Those conversions to take modern cartridges were a wide open field. All sorts of gunsmiths doing them on all kinds of revolvers.