Monday, August 06, 2012

Squirrels

When we were in the woods on Saturday, I went to collect my feeder.  I should have collected it in February, but the intricacies of my social calendar prevented that.  Still, when I went to collect it, I found that squirrels had gnawed a hole in the barrel.

That isn't good.  The barrel is PVC material and the tree-rats have gnawed a hole in it to access the feed that remained inside.  That's not good at all, and will have to be repaired.  After considering several alternatives, I've just about decided that an auto-body fiberglass repair will probably suffice.  They gnawed several smaller holes in it that auto-body filler, or straight epoxy will fill.  A little sanding, a little paint and the barrel will be good for another year.

Is there any reason why a fiberglass patch wouldn't adhere to PVC?  I guess it's worth a try.  I'd hate to discard this barrel simply because squirrels have eaten a hole in it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you just want to seal the hole and are not worried about structural strength you could put a double layer of duct tape on the inside and then cover with silicone. Once this has cured cover the outside hole with silicon-extend the silicon about 2 or 3 inches past the damage.
Fred

Anonymous said...

Now that the squirrels have found your "feeder", the only way to stop it from happening again is to wrap the barrel in wire mesh. Hy thee down to homeless despot or lowes and buy a suitable roll that will cover the circumference. I've found that the wire mesh that has 1/2" squares is tight enough that squirrels can't get their teeth in there to do any damage to the barrel.

Gary

Old NFO said...

Glass would work, and STRONGLY recommend the wire mesh...

Anonymous said...

I would get a metal drum. By the time you buy whatever you use to fix it and work on it it likely would be as cheap money and time wise. The metal one will last as long as what ever paint you keep on it to prevent rusting does.

I would also get a cone to place in the bottom to direct the corn to the spinner. Keeps the corn from the dead areas at the bottom.

Good luck
ben

MSgt B said...

Fiberglass will adhere to PVC just fine, I do it all the time at work.

Rough the surface first to improve bond. Use plenty of resin.

I put a fiberglass wrap repair on Schedule-80 PVC pipe, and it can hold water up to 90 psi.

Bob@thenest said...

I tend to agree that once found and targeted odds are you're on the losing end with anything nonmetal.

And having spent much of my youth enjoyably sending .22s at those little critters, I nevertheless must have a bit of respect for their persistence, patience, and resourcefulness.

I miss those days...

Rivrdog said...

PawPaw, second the fiberglass advice. Use plenty of matting as well as plenty of resin.

J.D. Brown said...

The fiberglass will adhere as long as you do a good prep job with about 120 grit sandpaper. I've used glass on aircraft that go supersonic so a stationary barrel should pose no problems. If you wish place a fine wire mesh on the inside of the hole with pop rivets for the glass and resin to adhere to as well. IO recommend that you use marine grade glass that can be picked up at a marina or boat shop.