Monday, December 26, 2011

Soldier shot at Welcome Home Party

I've seen this story several times over the past several days, and I think it's a durty-dog shame. This kid joins the Army, goes overseas, is injured in combat, comes back to the US to recuperate, gets home on leave and gets shot at his welcome home party. Durty-dog shame.

However, the cop in me says that the official story stinks.
Sullivan, 22, a 2008 San Bernardino High School graduate who was stationed at Fort Campbell, Ky., was taken to a hospital for treatment of gunshot wounds. His condition was not known, but family members described him as being in extremely critical condition and paralyzed. Suzanne Sullivan said he suffered two gunshot wounds to his back, which shattered his spine.
Here's where the stink starts:
Family members said a man at the party got into an argument with Sullivan's brother. When Sullivan intervened, the man pulled out a gun and fired at him.
So, there's this guy at the party who took out a gun and shot the soldier. Friends and family, right? Somebody is bound to know the guy.
Police have not identified a suspect in the case.
Don't even go there. This guy comes to the party, and no one knows who he is? Why was he allowed to stay? Who did he come with? Who was he talking to? No one knows who the shooter was?

When I throw a party, I might not know everyone there, but I know who they came with. I enjoy entertaining, but I watch my guests closely. Someone knows who this guy is, and if they aren't telling the cops, the family has more problems than the police can help solve.

2 comments:

MSgt B said...

Guy turned himself in.

I'm betting family members knew exactly who he was, and he probably turned himself in before they could find him.

Rivrdog said...

"Omerta" at work here. The guy may have been a good soldier for the Army, but it appears that he couldn't survive his gang background.

Seems to me that the military might have dropped the ball a bit here. Is it possible that this troop's supervisor knew of his difficult background? If so, was counseling offered? If not, why not?

Lots of questions here, not many answers.