Sunday, May 16, 2010

Redneck Benchrest

After we got finished with the tripod yesterday, we took a few minutes and worked on my redneck benchrest. This is a common automotive scissor jack with a piece of purlin welded on top. I've screwed the whole thing to a piece of scrap 2X6 to give it a steady base.



Now, I'm looking for a piece of high-density foam to glue into the top tray to make a spot for the rifle fore-end. My second son says he knows where he can find some scraps of very tough foam padding, so I'm awaiting his scrounging report.

Is this rest going to be as sturdy, rock-solid and repeatable as a Ransom Master Series rest? No, hell no. But, when I'm through, I'll have under $10.00 tied up in it.

2 comments:

be603 said...

How about half a shot bag full of sand?

Rivrdog said...

Years ago, the gudwife got a gizmo that is supposed to help a laundress fold shirts. We never used it, but it was made from 1/8" dense foam.

If you can't find any other, send me your measurements, and I'll mail you a piece of it.

I had bought a cheapo rifle rest from Cabela's for Boomershoot (stolen from my pickup when I got back, grrrr) and lined the rest piece with that foam, taped on with 1" Gorilla tape (gaffer's tape). It worked out well.

I also have a little deerhide beanbag (empty) that came with that rest. It, too is surplus. Could mail that as well.