Monday, May 24, 2010

Meat Pies

My youngest son is making meat pies. These are a staple food around Natchitoches, LA. A simple crust filled with a meat filling, they are a folk food, some say Spanish, some say French, I think they're Creole. Regardless, Milady has a good basic recipe that's served thousands of these things, and it works good every time. Some folks try to use pie-crust, but most pie crust tends to puff up when it fries and what you want in a meat pie is a thin, flaky crust.



That's what 64 meat pies look like. Traditionally they're deep-fried, but you can bake them for a more heart-healthy meal. Serve them with rice and gravy, or dirty rice. A big pitcher of iced tea, a salad, and you've got supper.

They look good, Son. We'll have to cook a batch in Gatlinburg this summer. You're brother-in-law JimBob thinks he can make meat pies and wants to challenge you to a cook-off. I'll make the dirty rice.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Oh... those look GOOOOOD!!! :-)

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Sounds good, pop. I -might- be ready to make another batch by then! tell momma thanks again.

Rich Jordan said...

My Grandma from Paraguay used to make meat pies that looked a lot like that; my Mom (who came to the U.S. at around 19-20) says they were a frequent meal growing up.

I loved those meat pies. I think I need to get the recipe from Mom ;)

Anonymous said...

When I was an apprentice boatbuilder back in the day when many tools were cordless, an entrepreneurial fellow sold fried pies identical in appearance to those along the Lake Union waterfront at noontime in Seattle. Most were fruit filled, some were meat, some chicken and once in a while Salmon or Halibut. All were $0.25, filling and wonderfully delicious. Along about 1969 the city in it's idiocy put him out of business. He and his wife and kids started doing it in about 1934.

I still nurture an abiding hatred of the elected representatives of the accursed City of Seattle, and have called and paid competent professionals to call many vile and nasty curses on them and their spawn to the seventh generation.

Gerry N.