Thursday, May 13, 2010

Making Do

I like to take common things and use them for purposes that the guys who originally designed them might not have foreseen.

I was browsing around and went over to Sharp Shooter Supply to look at stocks, and lo! What to my wondering eye should appear?



That thing under the front of the rifle is a slightly modified automotive scissor-jack. Mounted on a good piece of 2X6 is ought to make a dandy front rest for bench work.

So, today while I was rumbling around, I found a scrap piece of 2X6, and went to a construction site where I scrounged a piece of purlin to weld to the top to hold the front bag. Then, I went to a pawn shop and paid $9.00 for a used scissor jack.

In a couple of weeks, I'll show y'all my new front rest.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

If it works... :-) One man's junk is another man's treasure. Just sayin :-)

Michael W. said...

Very, Very Cool!

Guess I will need to go out junkin' and build me one of those.

PresterSean said...

Very interested to see how this one turns out- please document the process!

Anonymous said...

I remember a term from the old Perception class (degree in the behavioral "sciences") called "Functional fixedness" what that means is that a veterinarian can take, say, a doorknob, and invert it upright on his assistant's counter, and it becomes like a saddlehorn to hook a leash to while writing a check for services.....
I like Paw Paw's functional idea....